Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Freedom Concepts has been imagining, designing, and building adaptive bicycles for the special needs community for over 30 years. We pride ourselves on manufacturing the highest quality products and delivering the best customer experience in our industry. Freedom Concepts is passionate about empowering communities and inspiring others to do the same! Our approach is hands-on, and allows us to deliver unique, tailored solutions – one person at a time. We are a smaller company, but growing year-over-year and are looking to add even more talent to our team!
If you are searching for that next great opportunity to grow your skillset and lean on your experience – all while making a real difference in some deserving families’ lives – then this is the job for you!
The Product Engineer is an integral part of the team here at Freedom Concepts. The Product Engineer is responsible for creating and enhancing Freedom Concepts’ line of assistive technology and positioning products that fill a niche in the market and allow us to remain competitive. Highly involved in new product development, ongoing product lifecycle management/maintenance, and custom solution creation. The Product Engineer prepares and maintains technical records to document product development, product issues, and solutions. Key job functions include product design / maintenance, project management, and manufacturing support. The position requires excellent analytical and design skills with strong reliance on accuracy, control, monitoring, and coordination.
General Job Functions:
· Create or improve products and features for our line of assistive technology and alternative seating through constant innovation and input from stakeholders. This position would be responsible for full support of a specific group of products.
· Design one-off custom accessories and product modifications for specific customer transactions.
· Collaborate with the development team to discuss product ideas and submit proposals for evaluation.
· Create digital design models, as well as conduct theoretical testing and analysis to prove concepts.
· Develop testing methodology to assess prototypes on objective requirements including strength, durability, and functionality to validate new designs.
· Create full product design specifications and working drawings using AutoDesk Inventor.
· Analyze problems or deficiencies within a project and provide solutions to resolve them.
· Conduct experiments and evaluations to improve and innovate on product designs.
· Maintain research and activity documentation including accurate time sheets and project development notes to support experimental development technical narrative reports.
· Collaborate with Operations Manager, Production staff, and other Engineers to develop plans that improve production processes.
· Keep current with advancements in engineering, product design, software, and production techniques – share knowledge with necessary colleagues.
· Assist with developing and implementing cost-saving measures and quality control systems.
· Prepare and maintain accurate Engineering Change Order documentation.
· Coordinate and support the ‘hand-off’ of final release product to Production and develop any corresponding manufacturing processes.
Why Choose Freedom Concepts?
· Fast-paced environment and endless opportunities to learn and grow
· A small, local company doing big things with a family-oriented environment
· Group benefits plan including health, dental, and life insurance
· RRSP plan with company matching program
· Paid vacation, on-site parking, and casual dress
· Regular company events throughout the year
Physical / Environmental Requirements:
· The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.
· Must be able to sit / stand for long periods of time at a desk.
· Freedom Concepts is located inside the Perimeter, but unfortunately outside of city services such as Transit. Therefore, owning your own vehicle and having reliable transportation is strongly encouraged.
· The Product Engineer works in the Production office alongside the rest of the Engineering and Production teams. It is an open-air office with lots of collaboration and an energetic ‘buzz’.
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or BioSystems Engineering or a similar field.
· Minimum 5 years proven experience working in Product Design or Mechanical Engineering.
· In-depth knowledge of 3D modelling software, Autodesk Inventor experience an asset.
· Proficiency in MS Office, specifically Word and Excel.
· Knowledge in ERP systems, specifically Microsoft Great Plains would be an asset.
· Advanced analytical and innovative design skills.
· Developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills (adept at solving puzzles and enjoys complex scenarios)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Knowledge of industry and manufacturing processes.
· Highly self-motivated and directed, process driven with keen attention to detail.
· Ability to visualize theoretical models and design ideas.
· Ability to be hands on and create physical prototypes
· Welding skills an asset.
· Able to use a variety of tools and equipment
· Defined sense of diplomacy and sound judgement for decision-making
· Proven organization and project management skills with interest in developing leadership abilities.
· Accountable for fostering a safe work culture. Must recognize unsafe conditions and practices
· Knowledge of assistive technology or medical device industry an asset.
· Knowledge of biking industry an asset.
· To be discussed during the interview process, but is dependent upon years of experience and the specific skillset the successful candidate is bringing with them.
FCI welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada and have a valid driver’s license.
If you think you are the right fit for this position and would like to join our team, please apply by email with your Cover Letter and Resume to [email protected] .
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment opportunities with us, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.